Sunday, March 11, 2012

Discomfort as an Ally

It's still rough going, experiencing discomfort as a sign that work's being done, rather than simply considered. Avoiding discomfort was a key message I rec'd growing up & throughout my life. Yet, there was always something in me that knew discomfort was, in reality, an invaluable, irreplaceable ally, the soft whisper in my ear that I'd moved past up-in-the-clouds dreaming into down-into-the-nitty-gritty realizing.

I think it was Stephen Covey who wrote about the lure of promising ideas, the incredible psychic energy they provide, and how it is very different knuckling down to do the mundane tasks that transform fantasy into fantastic substance. We love to look to the idealized future, achievements we'll garner, accolades we'll receive, but balk at actually looking around us in THIS moment, given THESE circumstances.

Looking around at what can be done within the present can make me squirm - my longtime response has been to shut down, get tired, take a nap. Go numb. Better numb than discomfort.

BAH! What a lot of bosh!!!

Recognize the ancient triggers, stop dwelling in the past or looking toward tomorrow, look around, feel that icky sense of discomfort, of shying away from the mundane, knuckle down and LIVE. Take no thought for the morrow ~ take root in the NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment